Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Truancy

Today I got a phone call from my son who handed the phone over immediately to the truancy officer. I am informed that if my son misses one more class (unexcused) that he will have charges filed against him.

At first I am glad, because I want my son to attend school. I think if there are consequences and accountability that he will do it. And then it starts to sink in and hit me, especially when the officer asks me why my son has been absent: they are going to hold me responsible for this.

As if I haven't tried everything I could think of to get my son to behave and mind me and school authority! I took his car when he skipped class and sped with it, I took his license, I set up contracts, went to counseling, grounded him, rewarded him, ordered him to live with his grandfather, and more! This is a 17 year old young man who is almost six feet tall. He has literally told me that he would do as he pleased because I could not physically stop him.

The law can be such a help sometimes and other times can be so backward.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear! Parenting can be so difficult! It is hard to be accountable when they write you out of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. So, are you experiencing that feeling (or reality) of being written out of your kid's life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt that way for several years. She would be much happier if we weren't in her life at all!

    ReplyDelete