Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Emancipation

Last week my son asked me for an emancipation. This is basically - to my thinking - a divorce from me as a parent.

He has mentioned it before, and it has always felt hurtful. But this week he added some more information: his grandfather on his father's side has actually given my son his car back. I took it away some months ago upon a judge's recommendation after my son obtained a 91 mph speeding ticket and a wreck. The grandfather purchased the car, and when I took it, demanded it back and promised not to give it to Zachary. I also revoked his license, which he - that night - claimed to have somehow renewed.

I don't even care to chase down the law, or the reasons, or any of it any more. I feel done with the lies, the undermining, and the manipulation.

I am ready. Emotional, but ready.

By the way, emancipation also means freedom. It will not be a one way street.

5 comments:

  1. You know, we give our kids choices - from toddlerhood to teenagehood. These are your choices. These are the consequences. Your choice. Unfortunately no one told us how to make them choose the way we want. :(

    My wish for you is peace with your decisions and his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kollette-

    This is my first time reading your blog. I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. They say "Youth is wasted on the young." I'm sure Zachary is a great kid at heart, but he is definitely pushing his boundaries and living in the moment. That is such a tough age. I remember wanting to run away from home in Dallas and hide out in my friends' houses in Houston. I actually had several friends buy into that plan!

    There is no doubt that you are a phenominal person, and I have complete confidence that you have been an incredible mom. I agree that he needs to: 1) show respect to you, and 2) accept responsibility for his actions.

    I will pray for you both, and for his father and grandfathers who obviously play large roles in his life. I will also pray for the judge who would have to officially grant the emancipation -- he or she may have some other options that would be better suited to getting Zachary back on track.

    Hang in there, Kollette.
    I love you-
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have strength beyond your years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you Kollette. You and I share both a strength and a common bond & you know what I'm talking about. Two different worlds, yet we all face similar challenges. I haven't posted on my son in a while, since he's been locked up, I haven't needed to. It seems mean to say and I do love him with all my heart but it's honest: I have peace in my life without him in it on a daily basis. I know where he is, I know he's safe & I know he's not out in the streets somewhere. Perhaps emancipation & distance is the best thing for both of you right now. I've discussed it with Stratton, as well.

    I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am for starting and maintaining this blog. There are so many different emotions we go through in parenting & we've discussed this before... most people would have you believe that it's all a bed of roses in their world. It's not. Most people are just afraid to admit it, turn a blind eye or are afraid of being judged, afraid of being embarassed, afaid that they have failed. No matter your background or upbringing, we all go through rough spots.

    I love ya girl. Keep your head up. You know how to find me if you need me.

    ReplyDelete