Tuesday, March 16, 2010

For Writing Out Loud

I read a recent article on a GREAT site called blogher.com. It was titled Naked Blogging (author Maria - sorry, don't know the last name), and I encourage you to read it. the subject matter was about how much to expose in your blogging. This has been a very real issue for me as of late. I have since deleted, out of respect, some posts that in hindsight I felt may have revealed too much about others. Below is how I responded to the article:

recently exposed
kollette March 16, 2010 - 11:34am
I am new to blogher and to blogging, and therefore to blunder blogging. I started a blog to do many of the things Maria mentioned: gain support, give support, etc. The topic was dealing with my teenaged son, and more specifically how difficult this year has been. Note: right now I am definitely holding back. Although it was not my intent for any of my family to stumble upon my blog, some did. The fallout was hurtful to all. I also don't think most of my blog was "shooting from the hip," but at the same time my story involves other people and I have decided to try to stick to just revealing my own life - trying very hard not to disclose anything that is not really mine to share.

On the other hand, and this is very important to me, I still feel that erring on the side of revealing too much is better than not speaking out at all. I have people in my life whose goal is to keep secrets and have me do the same. The entire point of writing and publishing the truth is to speak it and share it , in my opinion.

Of course, perfection in the balancing act of - to continue the metaphor and up the ante - how much to shed in this poker game of blogging is unattainable and subjective, yet something I will try to continue to move toward. I am certain much of it will depend on how high the stakes are, how important I feel the subject is to reveal, and whether the other players are packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment